How do you manage the ups & downs of starting your own business? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Noz Nozawa, a former Tech Marketer turned Interior Designer shares her thoughts on the emotional impact of running your own business, how your perceptions of self worth can get intertwined with your work, and the importance of support networks. I also share some thoughts on where you can create some support structures in your own career.
Key Career Insights
- Formal training can be valuable, but not always necessary—research and explore your options and listen to your instincts when preparing to make the leap. Your road to success may not resemble anyone else’s.
- If you experience a loss of momentum and confidence, consider seeking knowledge from outside of your immediate professional network to connect with others who have had the same difficulties.
- Surround yourself with people who support and inspire you—or both!—to avoid feeling isolated.
Tweetables to Share
- Connect yourself to other entrepreneurs and join our community on the Career Relaunch Facebook Page.
- I mentioned this “five people” quote by Jim Rohn during today’s Mental Fuel segment.
- Here’s an article touching on the idea of how interpersonal relationships shape success, which I alluded to during today’s Mental Fuel: Why the Five People Around You Are Crucial to Your Success.
Free Tool: Network Builder
About Noz Nozawa, Interior Designer
Ever since she was a little girl, Noz Nozawa wanted to be an interior designer. Or an architect. Whatever job would let her work on houses all day. But her father encouraged her to focus on business instead. So she graduated from college, landed a great job at Clorox, and hopped over to the tech industry in 2011. But in 2014, she couldn’t ignore her “calling” anymore – so she “retired” from her successful marketing career to follow her passion for interior design. Despite not having formal training, she launched her own business right out the gate. Two very challenging, roller coaster sink-or-swim self-employed years later, her little business is growing and thriving, and she’s never looked back. She now runs Noz Design, a full-service residential interior design firm based in San Francisco, serving clients from coast to coast. With a focus on eclectically modern spaces, Noz Design creates well-appointed homes that not only reflect their dwellers’ lifestyles and tastes, but also maximize a space’s functionality and a project’s budget. Follow Noz on Instagram and Twitter.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Noz know!!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!