What can you do to gain some much needed perspective and take a fresh look at where your career’s headed? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Ben Mallinson, a former public services employment advisor turned government public servant shares his thoughts on the difference between working for a public and private institution and the steps you can take if you’re feeling stuck in your career. I also share a moment in my own career when I had to take a step back to gain some much needed clarity.
Key Career Insights
- While working for a reputable, well-known company can be quite alluring, you have to invest the time necessary to ensure your life there will truly align with your broader career goals.
- Creating some distance between you and your job can provide you with the headspace to figure out exactly where you want to take your career.
- Mirroring the exact language an organization uses to describe their mission and culture in your own job search materials can help you stand out in a very precise manner with those organizations.
- Don’t forget that there will always be other opportunities for you. Your narrative isn’t limited to only how you’re defined within your current organization.
Tweetables to Share
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of stopping and reflecting on your career. My challenge to you was to carve out some time, ideally in the next week, when you’ll commit to taking a moment to pause. I’m talking about getting away from your devices and any distractions, creating some momentary distance between you and your work, and dedicating some time to just being by yourself to reflect on your career and where it’s headed.
Then, take a stance on whether you career is or is NOT moving in a direction you want it to. If if is, great. Double down on an activity that’s been serving you especially well. But if it’s not, I’d like you to reflect on how long you’ll continue to tolerate working in a way that doesn’t truly fulfil you.
If you’re looking for some contemplative music to help you do that, one of my favourite artists to listen to when I’m feeling rather pensive is Max Richter. Give a listen to his songs on Spotify.
About Ben Mallinson
Ben Mallinson’s professional experience spans the not-for-profit, private, and public sectors in Australia. Ben began his career in Melbourne, Australia, working for a not-for-profit employment services provider. A few years later, he transitioned into the private sector, including three years working for one of Australia’s top management consulting firms as a project coordinator and executive assistant.
Last year, he transitioned into the public sector, taking on a role in Victorian state government’s department of health & human services where he worked on a state-wide health and human services reform project. He’s recently started a new role within the same department working on an exciting transformation program of works. Connect with Ben on LinkedIn.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Ben know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting allows you to offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.