What’s the key to being happier in your career and life? What choices and tradeoffs must you be willing to be make to achieve this happiness? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Samantha Clarke, a former digital manager turned happiness consultant, shares her thoughts on how you can become happier with your work and explains why refuelling yourself is so critical before you can serve others. During today’s Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll talk about how I deal with the pressure I put on myself.
Key Career Insights
- You have to be willing to let go of some things in order to make room for happiness.
- Chasing an “overextended” version of yourself will only lead to burnout and an inability to give all you can to the work you care about most.
- Happiness is about making sure you carve out enough time for those things that refuel you.
Tweetables to Share
Samantha mentioned a few strategic questions to ask yourself to keep yourself happy:
- What do you need to put down or make peace with?
- Allow yourself to be open to receiving?
- What you can do to make space for self-care?
- What support system do you need to keep going?
- How can you keep challenging yourself, to destroy & rebuild
- Samantha has hosted classes at The School of Life, a global organisation dedicated to developing emotional intelligence. We apply psychology, philosophy, and culture to
- Read more about Samantha’s Guardian Masterclass on how to build a portfolio career
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of not overextending yourself. Consider whether or not the goals you’re pursuing are coming at the cost of your own happiness. My challenge to you is get very clear on what the metric of “success” that allows you to work in a way that’s sustainable and enjoyable. What exact level of income, title, lifestyle, work-life balance, or time with people you love do you need to feel happy? Try to give yourself permission to be okay with not necessarily achieving everything, but rather, enough to make you happy in those areas of your life that matter most.
About Samantha Clarke, Happiness Consultant & Founder
Samantha Clarke’s mission is to help companies and individuals by giving advice on the small things they can do to make a big difference to their happiness. She delivers this work via a portfolio career as a Happiness consultant, podcaster, speaker and online trainer/educator at The Growth & Happiness School, which aims to distill over decade of work experience, research & learning, instructing on personal & professional happiness, development & technology, into signature training programmes and courses. The school’s goal is to help individuals discover, understand and implement tried & tested growth and happiness strategies that work for business and life.
- Her most recent course Be Happy First helps those in client facing industries, coaches/consultants, carers and health & wellness professionals identify how to fill up their happiness tanks so that they can continue to serve others without burning out.
- Her podcast series Conversations with Samantha& – sees Samantha geek out with philosophers, technologists, heads of people & talent, start up founders and communication experts on the impact of technology on our happiness in work, life and our cities.
- You can find her spreading her wisdom on happiness at work, technology, new-age HR/ people operations, portfolio careers, confidence and leadership in Psychologies, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Guardian Small Business Network, BBC 1Xtra, Evening Standard and City AM.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Samantha know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting Career Relaunch
BrandYourself offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.