Hear what can happen when you leave a fancy finance job behind to “give back” to the community. In this episode of Career Relaunch, Scott Lee, a former money markets broker in London who left his job behind to feed the homeless shares his thoughts on creating value, making a contribution to society, and how reading books can really change your life. I also shared a couple of my favorite books that had a major impact on my career.
Key Career Insights
- You don’t have to make professional decisions that make sense to everyone else.
- Doing work that feeds your soul can help you figure out what really matters to you.
- You don’t have to figure everything out on your own. A wealth of resources exist out there. You just have to take the initiative to seek them out and tap into the information.
Tweetables to Share
- Scott mentioned the term “Planned Obsolescence,” (which I admit I had to look up afterwards) in reference to the increasing discomfort he felt working in the financial sector.
- In describing helpful books and thought leaders whom he found helpful in his career journey including Guy Kawasaki, Brendon Burchard, and The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Scott recommended Mark Pearson at Fuel Ventures if you have a promising business idea at seed stage.
- The books I mentioned during the Mental Fuel segment that I’ve found helpful to my own career are Great by Choice by Jim Collins and How to Deliver a TED Talk by Jeremey Donovan
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I suggested you get that book on your reading list and start reading the first 10 pages this week. I’m going to commit to reading Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins just to join along! What’s on your reading list? I’d love to know, so be sure to let me know what you decided to read in the comments below.
About Scott Lee
Scott Lee is entrepreneur who’s never looked back since he left the daily grind of London’s financial world behind. After working in the world of investment banking, wealth management, and money market brokerage, Scott left the finance sector, spent some time working with homeless people in need, and eventually went onto found responseIQ, a sales optimization platform.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Scott know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!