Becoming a freelancer has plenty of benefits including independence, freedom, and control over your time. However, it also involves many ups and downs, doubts, and uncertainty along the way. In this episode of Career Relaunch, Stephen Satterfield, a former restaurant manager turned freelance writer and founder of an online food magazine shares his own unique career journey and thoughts on how to patiently manage upheaval and uncertainty in your career. I’ll also address a listener question about how to stay motivated each and every day.
Key Career Insights
- Building a new career is like building a business. It requires patience, time, and an ongoing commitment to create the change you desire.
- Uncertainty is a common part of career change that people don’t always talk about, but your ability to acknowledge and manage it is critical.
- Even if you’re not doing “what you love” full time, taking small steps in that direction still creates progress.
Tweetables to Share
Mental Fuel- Listener Challenge
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I shared a few ways I stay motivated even when I’m feeling a bit frustrated. What are some of the techniques or tools you use to stay on track with your own career goals? Share your tips with the Career Relaunch community in the comments below.
About Stephen Satterfield, Food Writer, Activist & Founder
Stephen Satterfield is a food writer, speaker, food activist, and Founder of Whetstone Magazine, where he shares stories of food origins. He’s the inaugural food writing fellow at Civil Eats, a leading voice on the American food system, and the former restaurant manager at Nopa in San Francisco. Follow Stephen on Twitter and Instagram.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Stephen know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!