What impact does work have on your personality, attitudes, and behaviors toward others, both within and outside work? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Vicky Dain, a former corporate lawyer turned clinical psychologist discusses why she decided to say farewell to working in a fancy law firm to pursue other career interests during her “fertile void” of professional exploration. I also share some thoughts on the how work can radically change you without you even noticing.
Key Career Insights
- Your job has a way of changing who you are, how you treat others, and who you’re becoming, whether you realize it or not.
- If you’re making major decisions about your career, opening up a bit of breathing room and headspace for yourself can be incredibly clarifying.
- When you’re getting so much fulfillment from your work, you may no longer need as many material job perks that once made you happy.
Tweetables to Share
- Vicky referred to this concept of the fertile void, where stillness and emptiness can actually facilitate the process of planting some seeds for the future. This article in Vitality Magazine describes this concept in more detail.
- We talked about why leaving your job behind can sometimes be difficult. Here are my thoughts on the 5 Main Reasons People Resist Career Changes, featured in Classy Career Girl.
- I wrote about how work molds you more than you realize in this Fast Company Article on What I Learned from my Three Career Changes.
Free Tool: How is work changing who I am?
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about how work can change you more than you realize. To clarify how work is changing you, download your free “Who am I becoming” Worksheet.
About Vicky Dain, Clinical Psychologist in Training
Above are a few pics from Vicky’s explorations during her “fertile void.”
Victoria Dain began her career with a First in Mathematics from UCL, before training as a lawyer. She practised corporate law in the London for three years, but left to explore careers that she felt had a more positive impact on the world. Having tried a variety of fields, she found Clinical Psychology allowed her to use her intellectual and professional capabilities for more meaningful ends. After 3 years experience in NHS research and clinical settings, she’s now embarking on a clinical doctorate in Psychology. She lives in East London with her partner and child.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Vicky know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!