What does having “wealth” mean to you? Do you think of material possessions and money? Or do you think about less tangible things you value? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Byron Trzeciak, a former Security Analyst turned Online Marketing Agency Founder shares his thoughts on why money isn’t everything, the importance of being able to control your time, and the toll your job can take on you when you’re doing unfulfilling work. I also share some thoughts on what it means to be truly “wealthy.”
Key Career Insights
- Reaching a career goal doesn’t always lead to career satisfaction. In fact, it can make you question whether that goal was a truly meaningful one to word toward in the first place.
- When money’s the main reason you’re happy staying in your job, it can lead to a vicious cycle of rewarding yourself for doing work you don’t enjoy then continuing to do that work so you can reward yourself.
- Material wealth (assets, money, stuff) is distinct from personal wealth (happiness, flexibility, freedom). Which matters the most to you?
Tweetables to Share
- Byron’s Medium Article, The Day I Earned a Six Figure Salary Was the Day I Quit My Job.
- Sept 2016 NY Times Article on Hal Hershfield’s (UCLA Anderson School of Management) research on how people perceive the value of time vs. money.
- Tim Ferriss’ Book, 4 Hour Workweek.
- My Huffington Article on 4 Ways Self Employment Changed How I Define Wealth.
- Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income Podcast and his About Page.
- You might also enjoy my Fast Company article about how 3 people redefined what wealth meant to them in their careers.
Free Tool: Redefining What Wealth Means to You
About Byron Trzeciak
Byron Trzeciak is Director and Founder of a conversion-focused digital marketing agency called PixelRush based in Melbourne, Australia. He builds profitable online businesses by turning clicks into customers, empowering businesses to gain 4x return from their online marketing investment across a variety of digital channels & media. He’s also passionate about inspiring others to build a life they’ll love by creating flexible lifestyles & career paths using online income. You can follow him on LinkedIn and Twitter.
To learn more about online marketing and SEO, be sure to check out his PixelRush blog. I read this article they wrote about WordPress vs. Squarespace. I can definitely attest to their arguments for going with WordPress (what I use!), and I think you’ll find many of their articles useful. You can also listen to Byron’s podcast on
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let Byron and me know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!