What’s it like to take evening classes while working full time to expand your career options? In this episode of Career Relaunch, David Gulbransen, a former Software Startup Founder & IT Consultant turned Intellectual Property Attorney & Director of IT shares his thoughts on attending law school while holding down a full-time job, managing failure, and creating a diverse, portfolio career. I also share some thoughts on the importance of investing in yourself.
Key Career Insights
- Returning to school to pursue an additional degree is a major investment of time, money, and energy. However, it absolutely can be worth that investment, especially when it opens up new opportunities to diversify your career and feed all your interests.
- Experimenting and exploring many options can help you gain clarity about what your true passions are.
- If you have a unique product, service, or technique you’re developing, you should take the time up front to connect with an IP lawyer to consider securing a trademark or patent.
- Investing in yourself to learn a new skill can be an incredibly powerful catalyst to creating change in your career.
Tweetables to Share
- David talked about the importance of Patents & Trademarks, especially if you’re a small business owner developing an idea, product, or service.
- Here’s more information about Trademarks from Trademark Direct, a service I’ve used myself. You can also do a quick Trademark search yourself on Trademarkia to see if the name you’re considering is available.
- The US Patent & Trademark Office has some pretty good articles on Intellectual Property, where you can read about Patents, Trademarks, Servicemarks, and Copyrights.
Free Tool: Investing in Yourself
About David Gulbransen, Intellectual Property Attorney
David Gulbransen is a author, attorney and “IT” guy based in Chicago, Illinois. In his law practice he focuses on intellectual property issues (copyright, trademark) as well as information technology and business law, primarily with startups and small business entities. He’s also the Director of IT at the University of Chicago Law School. David had over a decade of experience in information technology and software development and is a published author with over half-dozen technical books under his name. Currently, he contributes a regular technology column to the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and David know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!