What’s it like to leave your stable agency job behind to become a creative freelancer? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Polly Aspinall, a former Creative, Producer and Account Director at London-based agency turned freelance Set Designer shares her thoughts on the importance of creating connections with a diverse set of people and allowing yourself to be open to new ideas. I also share some thoughts on being open to opportunities, even when they’re not exactly perfect.
- The best things happen in your career when you stop saying “no” all the time and instead start saying “yes” to new opportunities.
- Meeting up with everyone you can allows you to expand your network, to make connections with people who may just turn out to be surprisingly helpful.
- Sometimes, saying yes to imperfect opportunities can open up new doors and uncover unique career ideas that never crossed your mind
Tweetables to Share
- Polly referred to an “Opportunity Mindset,” where you say yes to things and remain open to new ideas. Here are a couple articles on this topic:
- Entrepreneur article on Recognizing Opportunity is the First Step to an Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Inc article on How to Change Your Mindset to See Problems as Opportunities.
Free Tool: Saying Yes to Opportunity
About Polly Aspinall, Set Designer
Polly Aspinall spent nearly 8 years working in a hybrid marketing role as a creative, producer, and account director for brands such as Johnnie Walker, the BBC, ASOS, Smirnoff and H&M. After taking a course at Central Saint Martins, part of the University of the Arts London (UAL), Polly recently made the move into set design, prop-master, and junior art director for film and tv, including projects for Episodes and a new TV Show by the makers of Inbetweeners. She also does freelance set design for window dressing, photoshoots, and interior designs.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Polly know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!