What’s it like going from working in Silicon Valley to starting your own welding business? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Zai Divecha, a former software marketer turned metalworker and designer shares her thoughts on what it’s like to be “in flow,” how to prepare for a career change, and the benefits of connecting with liked-minded people. I also share some thoughts on the difference between doing energy generating vs. energy depleting work.
Key Career Insights
- When you’re doing fulfilling work, a “flow state” can emerge, where you lose track of time, reach a state of extreme concentration, and you can actually enjoy thinking about your work at all moments of the day, both the weekdays and weekends.
- The emotional highs of running your own business gives you the fuel to navigate some of the inevitable lows.
- The fear of the unknown can actually help to force you to really hustle and quickly get the right pieces in place to create the career you want for yourself.
- There’s a difference between doing energy generating and energy depleting work. Taking stock of which type of work comprises your days can give you an indication of whether you’re in the right role or not.
Tweetables to Share
- We talked about “Flow” during this episode. Learn about Psychologist Mihaly Csiksgentmihalyi, who created the psychological concept of Flow.
- Check out Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s: Flow, the secret to happiness TED Talk
- Mihaly’s book Flow: The Psychology of Happiness. And here’s a good summary of Flow, The Psychology of Optimal Experience in Hasty Reader.
Free Tool: Reenergizing Your Work Days
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of doing energising work. For some help in identifying some ways to do this, you can download a free “Reenergising Your Work Days” Worksheet.
About Zai Divecha, Metalworker & Designer
Photos: Ellen Wildhagen, kindredweddings.co
Zai Divecha is a metalworker and designer who learned to weld at the age of 14. She first worked in the tech industry at Box before deciding to return to her metalworking roots in 2014, when she founded Elektra Steel. She now spends her days creating handcrafted steel art and home goods. You can check out more of her impressive welding on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. And to learn more about her story, check out this interview she did in July 2016 after being selected as “Featured Designer of the Week” by Deck Studios in London.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Zai know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!