Career pivots often involve shifting into an industry or role you know little about, which can make the move that much more daunting. In episode 68 of Career Relaunch, Pip Murray, a former science museum producer turned founder of Pip & Nut, shares her thoughts on what it takes to start your own company, how to build your confidence during transitions, and why taking action is so important to turn your ideas into reality. During the Mental Fuel segment, I also share some thoughts about how to do something you have no idea HOW to do.
Key Career Insights
- You don’t need to quit your job the moment you decide it’s time to move on. The decision simply shapes how you approach the upcoming months or even years until you’re ready to make the leap.
- At some point, you have to cut the cord and turn your side hustle into your full-time job if you want to really give it the attention it deserves.
- You absolutely can learn anything you need to know in order have a shot of cracking into a new industry if you devote yourself to educating yourself, connecting with the right people, and filling your knowledge gaps.
- When you’re trying to test out a new idea, err on the side of doing. Otherwise, your idea will always be an idea. Getting where you want to go involves a series of improvements as you test out various approaches.
My challenge to you, especially if you feel like there’s no way you can do something or you feel like you don’t have the skills, experience, or knowledge to pursue some idea that you would actually find very gratifying, is to sit down, and take an honest inventory of what it would take for you to get yourself to a place where you DID feel comfortable giving it a shot.
It could be a knowledge gap you would need to fill so you can go into the process well-informed, or some specific questions you need to answer, or a set of skills you would need to acquire. Capture exactly what those knowledge gaps, unanswered questions, or missing skills are. Then, take action to address at least one. For example:
- Reach out to your network, maybe on LinkedIn or Facebook, to see if anyone knows someone who could shed some light on your questions.
- Enroll in a course that allows you to upskill or learn a missing skill
- Or even just Google the question you need answered to see what you can uncover on your own online.
I really believe you can be incredibly resourceful when you care enough about an idea you want to pursue. With enough tenacity, you’ll get yourself to a place where you can go for it, knowing that you’ve done the groundwork to give yourself the best shot of succeeding.
About Pip Murray, Founder of Pip & Nut
Pip Murray is the Founder of the nut butter brand Pip & Nut, which offers a range of eight naturally nutritious nut butters. A keen marathon runner and a fierce foodie, Pip had the inspiration for the brand when she couldn’t find a delicious but nutritious protein source to fuel her training. Taking matters into her own hands, she set about creating her own brand and starting on her Pip & Nut journey. So far it’s encompassed everything from market trading and crowdfunding to national supermarket launches and international expansion.
She’s received a host of industry accolades:
- In January 2019, Pip won ‘Start-Up Entrepreneur of the Year’ at the Natwest Great British Entrepreneur Awards
- In 2018 Pip was named a Forbes 30 under 30 Europe in 2018 and a Management Today’s 30 under 30
- She was Young Entrepreneur of the Year at the Startups.co.uk ’s 2017 Awards
- She was also awarded ‘Young Achiever of the Year’ at the The First Women Awards 2016, was named as a winner in The Grocer’s Top New Talent Awards for 2016 and in December 2016 picked up the ‘Artemis Award’ for the most inspirational woman running a business trading for a minimum of 18 months up to 3 years at the Natwest Everywoman awards.
All of Pip & Nut’s products are 100% natural, with absolutely no refined sugars, additives or palm oil. Now four years old, Pip & Nut can be found in 5 international markets and over 5,500 stores around the UK and Europe.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Pip know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow host Joseph on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to A2 for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting is the web host provider I use and trust for my own websites, and they even offer 100% carbon neutral green hosting. For an easy, fast, and affordable way to get your personal website online today, visit careerrelaunch.net/a2 to get 50% off your web hosting plan.