Making the decision to leave an entire career behind is never easy. It becomes even more daunting if you don’t have your next role lined up. In this episode of Career Relaunch, Kelly Price, a former consultant in the pharmaceutical industry explains why she made the decision to move on from her stable career in the industry to pursue a career path more aligned with her personal values and interests. We’ll talk about dealing with “golden handcuffs” and how you can navigate a transition when you aren’t 100% certain what lies ahead. In the Mental Fuel segment, I’ll talk about how I managed the times in my career when I left one job behind before having my next one lined up.
Key Career Insights
- If you’re working within an industry with practices misaligned with your values, it’s worth considering making a move to be more at peace with yourself.
- It’s not unusual for it to take an extended period of time to move on from a role you dislike because the costs of leaving, including creating a break in your CV or disruption to your steady income, can feel very daunting.
- The “golden handcuffs” of chasing a better title and higher salary can feel very alluring, but can result in you continually moving the goals posts of what will truly make you happy.
- Leaving one job behind without having another one lined up definitely happens, although can feel less common, which makes it both daunting and exciting.
- You can never go wrong investing more time pursuing your interests. Doing this leads you down the path toward being who you’re meant to be.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I put out a challenge to those of you trying to figure out whether to hold on or let go of your job to answer these two questions to help you clarify whether now is a good time to make your move.
- First, what single biggest interest in your life are you serving by staying?
- Second, what single biggest opportunity could you open up for yourself by leaving?
For some help in doing this, you can download my “Should I Stay or Leave” Worksheet.
Register below to download worksheet
About Kelly Price
Kelly Price is a serial ‘intra’preneur with a desire to apply her strategic mind and business-building experience to the world of sustainability. After 18 years consulting for the pharmaceutical industry through medical marketing research, Kelly realized she would have major regrets if she spent her entire career in the corporate world. So she recently took a leap of faith, and quit her job without another one lined up so she could dedicate herself more fully to shifting into the world of clean tech & sustainability.
As someone with extensive experience ‘pitching’ for business to clients, she would now like to use her skills to help clean tech & sustainability start-ups deliver more coherent, persuasive pitches to secure more investment. Check out the consulting she now does for clean tech & sustainability companies at Sundry Ventures. Follow Kelly on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Kelly know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Audible for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Audible for supporting this episode of Career Relaunch. Audible is the premier provider of digital audiobooks, offering over 180,000 audiobook titles for listening anytime and anywhere on your favorite device. Career Relaunch listeners can download a free audiobook download and get 30-day trial at audibletrial.com/careerrelaunch.