How can you successfully shift roles from a technical to managerial role? How about shifting industries from management consulting to product management? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Jeff Shih, a former Deloitte consultant turned product manager at Unity Technologies shares his thoughts on how to successfully navigate an industry and role shift. In today’s Mental Fuel® segment, I also share some thoughts on how I decide when to turn down career opportunities.
Key Career Insights
- You have to be patient when you’re trying to shift careers so you can wait for the right opportunity to come up.
- Doing something new allows you to keep your career fresh, drive career satisfaction, and career satisfaction.
- Don’t just take the first opportunity that comes along, especially when it means sacrificing something else important to you.
Tweetables to Share
- Check out Jeff Shih’s Medium article on Transitioning from Consulting to Product Management and his follow-up article with a few FAQs related to the transition
- The Journey from Consulting to Product Management– Redcat Digital
- Quora discussion on switching from management consulting to product management
- 5 Tips on Transitioning to Product Management from a Business Background– Lisa Zhu on Medium
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, my challenge to you, especially if you’re wrestling with whether to say yes or no to a specific career opportunity, is to try and decide on the single most important aspect of your career you really want to honor during this specific chapterin your career. For example, culture, work relationships, leveraging your strengths, impact, growth, or whatever else is important to you. Then take a hard look at whether or not this particular opportunity you’re considering serves that specific interest. If it does, maybe it’s worth considering. But if it doesn’t, as tough as I know it can be, you may want to consider letting it go.
About Jeff Shih, product manager at Unity Technologies
Jeff Shih started his career as an engineer at AMD back when dual-core processors and 64-bit was the hot thing. He then started a scrap metal trading company specializing in export to Asia and eventually went back into the tech world as a data engineer at an Austin startup called Bazaarvoice while pursuing his MBA at the University of Texas at Austin (McCombs). He went into management consulting, first at Infosys, then at Deloitte. Had an opportunity to move into product management at Microsoft, then at Unity Technologies, and never looked back. Connect with Jeff on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Medium.
Jeff mentioned machine learning and AI on the show. Check out this demo of what he was talking about below:
— Jeffrey Shih (@shihzy) December 19, 2017
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Jeff know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Grasshopper for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Grasshopper for supporting the Career Relaunch® podcast. Grasshopper is the Virtual Phone System designed for entrepreneurs and small business owners. It works just like a traditional phone system,
but it’s all managed online or by phone so callers can reach you anytime wherever you are. Career Relaunch listener can get $50 off your first order
by visiting TryGrasshopper.com/Relaunch.