How can you survive the ups and downs of a bumpy career journey? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Jamie Love a former house cleaner turned professional photographer shares her thoughts on how to deal with hitting rock bottom and how your mindset can have a direct impact on the trajectory of your career. I’ll also explain how I’ve thought about my own self-worth, especially as it relates to pricing my services as a self-employed consultant.
Key Career Insights
- Believing in your own self-worth is such a critical part of being able to promote yourself to others.
- You don’t have to have everything figured out, especially where you want to focus your energies, when you’re embarking on a new path on your career or starting your own business. You can put out a range of feelers to see what ends up gaining traction with both your audience and also yourself.
- Clinging to a negative mindset and outlook related to your career and life will likely not serve you well and can in fact lead to a downward spiral of even more negative events.
Tweetables to Share
So my challenge to you is to put yourself out there, and start charging what you feel you’re worth, even if you don’t feel 100% ready yet. I’m talking about putting a price on something valuable you’ve been doing for free. And once you’ve done that, to NOT apologize for what you’re offering. To not feel like someone’s doing you a favour by paying you for this. Instead, help that person feel good about what they’re buying by proudly and unapologetically describing the value you know you’re providing.
About Jamie Love, Photographer
Jamie Love is a creative visionary and home-schooling mother who owns and operates Jamie Love Photography, a portrait studio based in Ithaca, NY. She completed her BFA in Photography and Digital Imaging from the Ringling College of Art and Design in 2003. Afterwards, she became a single mother to three children and dug herself out of the trenches of self-loathing and abusive relationships. She tapped into her own difficult journey toward self-love to create to a career focused on empowering and inspiring her clients through dream portrait experiences that celebrate their strengths.
Her latest project is the The Senior Empowerment Collective. Many photographers have what they call “brand ambassadors” people who promote their business. She decided that she wanted to do a different spin on this and create a mutually beneficial relationship with her high school teen clients. Because the teenage years can be cruel to our self esteem, the Senior Empowerment Collective is a group of local teens who learn self love practices through their senior portrait experience. They have the opportunity to model and boost their self confidence with a larger organization “The Model Network National,” and locally, Jamie provides them with volunteer hours in the community, and works to create a portrait experience that celebrates their uniqueness.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Jamie know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Audible for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Audible for supporting this episode of Career Relaunch. Audible is the premier provider of digital audiobooks, offering over 180,000 audiobook titles for listening anytime and anywhere on your favorite device. Career Relaunch listeners can download a free audiobook download and get 30-day trial at audibletrial.com/careerrelaunch.