When you no longer feel your work, company, organization is the right place for you, that sometimes means choosing to walk away from your job before you have another role lined up. In this episode of Career Relaunch, former retail apparel buyer Maddie Potvin, explains what made her decide to move away from the Bay area to pursue other interests and how she’s managed her transition. During the episode, she shares honest perspectives on the emotions of career change, the challenges of leaving your corporate identify behind, and the importance of taking control of your future. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll talk about defining your walkaway point as a guide to deciding when to move on to something new in your life and career.
Key Career Insights
- Your environment matters. Consider joining a coworking space is a great way of socializing with others who can support you.
- When you’re feeling knocked down, it’s important to make sure you’re kind to yourself and avoid making things worse.
- You may not feel like you have a choice about what sort of job you have or how long you stay in your current role, but you always have choice about whether you want to make a change.
- So much of your identity can be wrapped up in your job. It’s a big piece of who you are and a sense of purpose. Just recognizing this can help you understand what may be keeping you in a job you don’t necessarily enjoy.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about defining your walkaway points in your career. For some help in doing understanding what will and will not be acceptable to you in your career, download my “Where Will You Draw The Line” Worksheet.
About Maddie Potvin
Maddie Potvin started her career in San Francisco working in the corporate retail & apparel industry after graduating from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. She held roles in buying, merchandising, operations and project management at companies like Macy’s. & Levi’s. After a decade working in the retail industry, she took a leap of faith and quit her job in order to craft the life she wanted instead of simply following one career path. She’s now been on her journey for nearly 3 years, pushing her way through the unknown and figuring out her own path. Recently, Maddie and her husband bought a camper van to feed their passion for exploration. You can follow along on her camper van adventures on Instagram.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to A2 Hosting for Supporting Career Relaunch
A2 Hosting is the web host provider I use and trust for my own websites, and they even offer 100% carbon neutral green hosting. For an easy, fast, and affordable way to get your personal website online today, visit careerrelaunch.net/a2 to get 50% off your web hosting plan.