Former hotel lounge pianist turned pharmaceutical digital marketer Rei Lim discusses why he chose to leave his life as a professional musician behind to instead pursue a corporate career. In this episode of Career Relaunch®, we’ll talk about the importance of role models, feeling good about your future, and being proud of the work you do. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll address a listener question about how to prioritize your interests and head down the right path for you in your career.
Key Career Insights
- If you can’t find any role models in your industry you aspire to become like, that could be a signal that you may want to reconsider your career path.
- If you’re not proud of your response to “What do you do?”, that could suggest you may be doing work you don’t find truly meaningful.
- Make sure you feel inspired by the target role you’re trying to land
Tweetables to Share
Resources & Quotes Mentioned
- “If the ladder is not leaning against the right wall, every step we take just gets us to the wrong place faster.” -Stephen Covey
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I addressed a listener question about how to think through the various interests and priorities in your career. My challenge to you was to consider what matters most to you in the next chapter of your career. To help clarify this, download my “Defining Your Professional Priorities” Worksheet.
About Rei Lim
Rei Lim started off as a professional musician. At first, he felt like the luckiest guy, making a living out of his passion. But 4 years into the job, he woke up one day and realized he needed to pick up another skill because being a musician was not viable for him in the long run. He ended up picking up digital marketing and fell in love with it. After freelancing for four years, he now works as a digital marketer for a global pharmaceutical company. On the side, he also runs an online magazine about beauty aesthetics called Fairy Marraine.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Rei know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Grasshopper for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Grasshopper for supporting the Career Relaunch® podcast. Grasshopper is the Virtual Phone System designed for entrepreneurs and small business owners. It works just like a traditional phone system,
but it’s all managed online or by phone so callers can reach you anytime wherever you are. Career Relaunch listener can get $50 off your first order
by visiting TryGrasshopper.com/Relaunch.