What happens when your career plans don’t end up working out? Independent artist turned community founder Jamie Smith will explain why it’s okay to allow yourself to shift away from your original goals and move forward with “imperfect” ideas. Afterwards, during the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll share one of the plans I had for my own business that didn’t end up panning out.
Key Career Insights
- You have the power to create the community you need. If you can’t find an existing, likeminded group of people, don’t forget that you can also take the initiative to organize a community yourself.
- Don’t remain too rigidly attached to your original goals. Listen to what you need and what others need, then adjust.
- Sometimes, you need to get out of your own way and stop fighting against the natural evolution of your career.
- Instead of trying to get a perfect idea out there, get your best available idea out the door, then iterate & improve based on the feedback you get.
Tweetables to Share
- I was first introduced to Jamie by our guest Sandeep Johal from Episode 20. Check out that episode if you’re interested in hearing more about another artist’s journey.
- Jamie mentioned Asana as a free tool she uses to stay organized and Canva, which you can use to create polished graphics and visuals to help you market your ideas.
- If you would like to hear more about the importance of letting your goals evolve, check out Career Relaunch episode 23 with Krishelle Hardson-Hurley
- If you happen to be an artist, feel free to apply for the next mastermind intake on the Thrive Art Studio community page.
Following my conversation with Jamie, during this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I challenged you to give yourself permission to let go of something on your task list so you can make room for another endeavour that matters more to you. Commit to trimming down that list this week, and see what sort of weight that lifts off your shoulders.
About Jamie Smith, Artist & Community Founder
Jamie Smith is an artist, educator and events producer. She is the founder of THRIVE Art Studio. THRIVE provides community and support for female artists through their THRIVE Mastermind program, a speaking series called THRIVE Talks, THRIVE Art School courses, and the THRIVE Podcast.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Jamie know! Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Audible for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Audible for supporting this episode of Career Relaunch. Audible is the premier provider of digital audiobooks, offering over 180,000 audiobook titles for listening anytime and anywhere on your favorite device. Career Relaunch listeners can download a free audiobook download and get 30-day trial at audibletrial.com/careerrelaunch.