What is the life of a professional tennis player REALLY like? Former professional tennis player Rina Einy who’s played in the Australian Open, US Open, Wimbledon and the Olympics, gives a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the realities of being a professional athlete, why she decided to move on from tennis to become a finance professional, and how to balance your career choices with your personal relationships. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll explain why quitting is sometimes the best thing you can do for your career and life.
Key Career Insights
- Certain professions can look much more glamourous from the outside looking in than they actually are in reality.
- You have to consider whether you still have something left to “prove” in your current career path. If you don’t, perhaps it’s time to move on.
- Your career path will always be a balancing act between your professional aspirations and personal priorities. Tradeoffs are inevitable, so you have to be willing to make those difficult choices that compromise one for the other.
Tweetables to Share
- Dress for Success is that charity Rina mentioned at the end of the episode, whose mission is to “promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional clothes, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.”
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the downside and upside of quitting. What’s one “carrot” you’ve been chasing in your own career that keeps you hanging on a bit longer in your current professional role, even though you’re not fully happy? If chasing that goal is no longer serving you, what will it take for you to decide to walk away?
I’d love to hear what goal you’ve decided to let go of so you can pursue something more meaningful for your career. Leave a comment below or a voicemail for me if you want to share your story with the rest of the Career Relaunch listener community.
About Rina Einy, Tennis Pro turned finance professional
Rina Einy is a former professional tennis player who’s played in the Olympics and Grand Slams including Wimbledon, the French Open, and the US Open against well known players including Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Chris Evert, and Pam Shriver. She eventually moved on to work in finance for JP Morgan, and now serving as the Managing Director for Textyle International, an outerwear company with offices in Asia and Europe.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Rina know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting this Podcast
BrandYourself offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.