Hear about the the limitations of always playing it safe and why the ability to handle rejection can be such an incredibly powerful asset during your career. Andy Whelan shares his story of how he relaunched his career from being an actor to a small business owner and eventually a career coach. Afterwards, I’ll share my thoughts on how I manage rejection in my own life and career.
Key Career Insights
- When you’re thinking about career change, try to focus on the people you’re going to serve or the value you’ll have an opportunity to provide rather than just focusing on what you gain.
- Our tendency to avoid pain can prevent us from truly pushing the boundaries of our career and finding work we find more meaningful.
Tweetables to Share
- Andy mentioned his involvement with Young Storytellers, inspiring young people to discover the power of their voice.
- If you’re interested in hearing more career insights from Andy, he’ll be speaking at the Adobe Max Creativity Conference in Las Vegas, Oct 18-20, 2017.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of identifying one mechanism in your life that can recharge you when you get rejected. What’s one thing that you KNOW you can do to help you stand back up after you get knocked down? If you have a useful technique to manage rejection in your own career, share your tip with the Career Relaunch community by leaving a comment below.
About Career Coach & Actor Andy Whelan
Andrew Whelan is an accomplished career coach and small business owner. His background also includes performing at The Second City and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. His results-oriented, growth mindset approach to coaching has helped hundreds of graduates and freelancers achieve professional success. His current coaching focuses on General Assembly immersive students and entrepreneurs, guiding them through their branding and job search.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Andy know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to General Assembly for Supporting this Podcast
Thanks to General Assembly for sponsoring this episode of Career Relaunch. General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today’s most in-demand skills. Visit GA.co to lean how to boost your career. Use Promo code ‘RELAUNCH‘ for 20% off your 1st class or workshop.