How can you apply design thinking to your own career? In this episode of Career Relaunch, former high school teacher turned Site Reliability Engineer for DropBox, Krishelle Hardson-Hurley explains how she relaunched her career, sharing useful tips on how to use design thinking to plan out your next career move, investing time to create a clear & consistent career narrative, and the opportunities that come from making audacious moves. In the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll talk about the benefits and drawbacks of setting firm goals.
Key Career Insights
- Focusing too singularly on a rigid goal too soon can sometimes blind you to other options that could be better for you.
- You have to invest the time to clarify what you want so you can clearly communicate your career story & aspirations to people who count.
- You should ensure your online narrative aligns with what you’re verbally communicating in person while networking.
Tweetables to Share
- Check out Krishelle’s helpful blog posts on career change topics
- 3 Ways to Design Your Career Change– Hackbright Academy blog
- So you want to be an SRE?– Medium.com
- The Most Important Lesson My Sister Ever Taught Me – It’s Never Too Late To Change Your Life– HuffPost
- Krishelle mentioned the book Designing Your Life as a way of understanding how to apply design thinking to your life.
- Krishelle suggested using Trello as a way of organizing your job search process
- Learn more about the Bethune Project, which is the art project featuring Black men in America that Krishelle mentioned at the end of the show.
- More info about the concept of how to apply design thinking to your life in Business Insider.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel® segment, I challenged you to take a momentary step back from one of your goals that’s been an enduring, driving force in your career. To what extent does working toward that goal still make sense? If that goal no longer serving you, what can you do right now to finally let it go & make room for the pursuit of something greater?
About Krishelle Hardson-Hurley
Krishelle Hardson-Hurley is a former high school mathematics and language teacher who now works as a Site Reliability Engineer at Dropbox. With an eye for design and a love for problem solving, Krishelle’s passionate about building tools that support learning, collaboration and productivity as well as advocating for matters related to education and equity.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Krishelle know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Android, or Google Play (it’s free) so you don’t miss out on the latest episodes. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to BrandYourself for Supporting this Podcast
BrandYourself offers simple tools and services to help control what people find when they Google you. To clean up, protect, and improve how you look online, visit BrandYourself.com and use promo code ‘RELAUNCH’ to get 50% off a Premium membership.